With so many different features and functions on the globally-popular Instagram platform, it can be tough to keep track of everything and remember every nuanced part of the platform. One of those small details that doesn’t seem to matter much is our URL on Instagram.
Because most users access the platform via mobile, some may not even know that there is, in fact, a URL that connects to each individual Instagram account. It’s not something we think about on a daily basis, but when it comes time to share our profile to outside sources, we may find ourselves scrambling to locate the link.
It’s also important for business purposes and influencers who make their living on Instagram. Your Instagram URL is completely unique to your profile, just like your username, and it can be used by people to quickly reach an Instagram profile.
You can easily use your Instagram URL to insert on your website, email newsletters, or even other social media networks such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and TikTok so that people can find you and boost your follower or view count.
This quick article will help you to locate your Instagram URL via various devices as well as how to find other users’ URLs and even change it if you so desire. Let’s go!
What is an Instagram URL?
Just to make sure that we understand what a URL is, let’s go back to basics— a URL, also called a Universal Resource Locator, is the web link that you can see in the address bar of your browser when you use the internet or navigate to a website.
An Instagram URL is exactly the same thing; when an internet user puts the URL into their web browser’s address bar or clicks on a hyperlink, they will be directed to your Instagram account.
Instagram URL template
The makeup of your Instagram URL is very simple:
You can easily test it out by typing the Instagram URL, https://instagram.com/, followed by your Instagram username. This works the same way for other social media networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and others.
How to Find Your Instagram URL
If you still have doubts about your username or want to confirm that you have, in fact, found your Instagram username, you can follow the subsequent instructions to find your URL (or even someone else’s) on a variety of devices.
How to Find Your Instagram URL on a Computer
Here are the steps to find your Instagram URL on a computer:
- Navigate to Instagram’s website by typing https://instagram.com into the address bar of your web browser.
- Enter your login information to access your account
- Click on your profile tab in the bottom right corner of the webpage
- Once you are on your main profile page, look at the address bar, click, and select all.
- If you are on a PC, push Ctrl + C (command + C for a mac) to copy what you selected, or simply right click and hit Copy.
- Open notepad or the preferred text editor of your choice and push Ctrl + V (command + V for a mac) to paste the copied address bar, or right click and hit Paste.
- You will then have your Instagram URL stored in the text editor for quick and easy reference.
How to Find Your Instagram URL on a Smartphone
If you prefer to use a mobile device and you want to locate your Instagram URL without a computer, follow these steps:
- Use your iPhone or Android to open the Instagram app
- Tap your Profile icon in the bottom right corner of the app
- Note your username exactly as it appears on your main profile page
- Open the web browser on your phone and type your Instagram URL as follows: https://instagram.com/username
Note: when you type in the web link, you don’t have to use the “https://” as the website can load by simply entering instagram.com/username.
How to Find The Instagram URL of Another User
Perhaps you already know your own Instagram URL but would like to know that of another Instagram user. Here’s how you can do it:
- Visit the target profile on Instagram via mobile app
- Tap the three dots icon in the top right corner to open the main profile menu
- Tap Copy Profile URL from the menu options presented
- Paste the copied profile URL anywhere you’d like to either send or store it.
If you want to share someone’s profile on an outside source or want to note the profile for easy reference on a desktop, finding the Instagram URL of another user can be very helpful in doing so.
How to Find Instagram Post URLs
The primary purpose of Instagram is to share in-feed photos and videos with your followers and other people who might come across your content. It’s simple to share your Instagram photos not only on Instagram itself, but on outside platforms as well using the post URL.
Under each post, you’ll find an arrow icon that looks like a paper airplane; this icon allows you to share your post directly on Instagram. It won’t, however, let you share the post outside of Instagram.
You can still share the post outside of Instagram, but the option is in a different location. You can find it by doing the following:
- Open the post you want to share on Instagram
- Tap the three dots at the top right of the post
- You’ll see a menu pop up with various options
- Tap Share To…
- Again, Instagram will present you with a variety of options and where you can share it
- Tap Copy to Clipboard and the URL will be copied
- You can then paste the link and share it where you wish.
How to Change Your Instagram URL
Because your Instagram username is connected to your URL, it’s very simple to change and can be done in a matter of minutes. If you’re running an Instagram page for your business and you want the URL to match your brand better, or you want it to be easier to find, this may be just the action for you.
It can be great to include punctuation or special characters in your Instagram username, but it can overcomplicate things if you are trying to direct your users to your profile via URL; they won’t be able to easily remember it.
In order to change your Instagram URL, you have to change your username. Not only that, you’ll need to update any outside links or sources that were previously connected to the old URL as they will no longer work.
If you’d previously linked your Instagram URL to an icon on your website, an email newsletter, on your blog, etc, you’ll want to update all of those links.
In order to change your Instagram username to effectively and immediately change your URL, follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram account via mobile or desktop and navigate to your main profile page
- If you’re on mobile, you can easily tap the Edit Profile option directly under your Instagram bio; on the computer, the menu icon can be seen in the top-left corner and clicking there can take you to your Edit Profile option.
- Once there, delete your old username and type what you want to replace your old Instagram URL/username
- Your username and Instagram URL will now reflect the new change
Tip: keep your username short and simple, and make it as relevant to your brand as possible. When you create a catchy Instagram username, it’s easier for people to remember you and visit your page regularly.
Final Thoughts: Finding Instagram URLs
It’s very easy to share your content both on and off Instagram, especially through the use of URLs. You can copy your own URL or you can share posts directly via the unique URL that each of your posts has.
You can also use your Instagram URL to funnel traffic to your Instagram account on external sites, building your follower count even more and driving your profile to success.
If you want to even further boost your Instagram account and get it out to more people, you should use an organic Instagram growth service that uses fully-managed services with advanced targeting to get the attention of people in your desired audience.